The U.K.’s Royal Mint recently launched its 2020 coin program, which is set to celebrate several facets of British history and culture.
Among the upcoming issues are coins commemorating:
- the upcoming Tokyo Olympics, to be held this July and August in Japan;
- author Agatha Christie, who’s known as the “Queen of Crime”;
- V-E Day, which marks its 75th anniversary this May;
- the sailing of the Mayflower from Plymouth 400 years ago; and
- the end of King George III’s reign 200 years ago.
“Our 2020 annual set commemorates a broad range of important historical events and people that have had a huge impact in how we live our lives today,” said Nicola Howell, Royal Mint chief commercial officer.
“Not only that, but in support of how proud they have made our nation – both in the past and present – we’re delighted to have unveiled a ‘Team GB’ 2020 50-pence coin in support of our athletes heading to the Tokyo Olympic Games this summer.”