- Proof quality 22-carat (91.67%) pure gold
- Commemorative reverse design
- Features a ‘70’ privy mark and platinum plated St Edwards Crown denoting the Platinum Jubilee of H.M. Queen Elizabeth II’s ascension to the crown
- Australian legal tender
- Issue limit – 930
- Prestigious presentation packaging
- Numbered Certificate of Authenticity
Australia’s gold rush of the 1850s unearthed vast quantities of precious metal. To turn this enormous wealth into coinage, the first overseas branch of Britain’s Royal Mint was opened in Sydney, capital of New South Wales, in 1855. Enjoying a privilege historically reserved for the mother mint in London, it was empowered to turn gold into official coins called sovereigns.
In the early years of production, Sydney sovereigns were differentiated from London’s ‘Imperial’ versions by alternative obverse and reverse designs. Created by Leonard Charles Wyon, one of the famous dynasty of 19th century engravers, the Sydney Type I reverse featured elements representing radical departures from tradition.
For the first time the denomination ‘ONE SOVEREIGN’ was included on the reverse which also comprised depictions of St Edward’s Crown and a laurel wreath. The word ‘AUSTRALIA’ was prominently positioned, even though this was a geographical concept at the time rather than today’s fully-fledged nation. To underline the point that these coins were not struck in London, ‘SYDNEY MINT’ was also incorporated in the ‘colonial’ design.
Sovereigns bearing this reverse were produced until 1870, after which all Australian-made versions featured Imperial designs with the addition of a small mintmark.
The coin is struck by The Perth Mint from 91.67% pure gold and issued as legal tender under the Australian Currency Act 1965.
The Perth Mint will release no more than 930 of the Australia Sovereign 2022 Gold Proof Coin in this packaging.
The Perth Mint’s Australia Sovereign Gold Proof Coin pays tribute to Wyon’s historic reverse design. With the name of the mint suitably amended, this modern issue also includes a small ‘70’ numeric privy mark and platinum plated St Edward’s Crown denoting that 2022 is the Platinum Jubilee of H.M. Queen Elizabeth II’s accession to the throne.
The coin’s obverse depicts the Jody Clark effigy of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, the 2022 year-date and its monetary denomination.
The coin is housed in a prestigious wooden presentation case within a superbly illustrated shipper and is accompanied by a numbered Certificate of Authenticity.
|Australia Sovereign 2022 Gold Proof Coin||$945.00||$85.91|
Notes on Pricing:
- Indicative Total Price (incl. metal) is based on the metal price of gold AUD 2,533.01/oz to be used as a guide only.
- The pricing is based on a margin over the prevailing spot price of the metal at the time of order.
- Volume discounts apply to individual orders only. To receive the volume break, you must order the relevant number of units for delivery in one shipment.
- The Perth Mint reserves the right to amend the above prices in the event of substantial movement in the metal price.
|Gold Content (Troy oz)||0.2354|
|Monetary Denomination (AUD)||25|
|Fineness (% purity)||91.67|
|Minimum Gross Weight (g)||7.988|
|Maximum Diameter (mm)||22.55|
|Maximum Thickness (mm)||1.90|