The June 26-27 Torex coin show and auction have been cancelled due to COVID-19.
About a week earlier, Ontario’s hospital association and its COVID-19 science advisory table said the province entered a “third wave” of the pandemic.
“COVID-19 still poses a serious risk,” said Torex executive director and owner Brian Smith, who added he made the decision to cancel “in the interest of public safety.”
“I’m sorry for any inconvenience. I hope we can get back to normal soon.”
The so-called “variants of concern” – expected to account for the majority of Ontario’s COVID-19 cases by the end this month – are “essentially out of control,” Anthony Dale, CEO of the Ontario Hospital Association, told the Globe & Mail in mid-March.
“It seems pretty self-evident that we’re in the early stages of the third wave,” Dale added.
While Ontario launched its much-anticipated vaccine-booking system on March 15, Canada’s vaccine rollout is lagging behind other countries. As of mid-March, Canada is behind about 50 other countries in regards to fully vaccinating its citizens.
Public health officials expect a critical mass of Canadians to be vaccinated by September, opening the door to a “return to normal,” including in-person coin shows and other public events.
NEXT SHOW PLANNED FOR FALL
The latest Torex cancellation is the fourth time the event – held three times a year – has been cancelled because of the ongoing pandemic.
Following last year’s winter show held in February 2020, the summer, autumn and winter events were all cancelled.
The next Torex show is slated for Oct. 30-31 at a new venue, the Crowne Plaza Toronto Airport hotel at 33 Carlson Ct.
“Thank you for your continued support, and please stay safe,” added Smith.