100th anniversary of the Battle of Beaumont-Hamel and innovative maple leaf coins among notable pieces
As part of its latest numismatic catalogue, which launched last week, the Royal Canadian Mint issued a Fine silver coin to remind Canadians this year’s Canada Day celebration is also a time to remember the brave Newfoundlanders who fell at the infamous Battle of Beaumont-Hamel on July 1, 1916.
Canadian artist Silvia Pecota designed the 99.99 per cent pure silver coin commemorating the Battle of Beaumont-Hamel, where the soldiers of the 1st Newfoundland Regiment participated in the first ground attack of the Somme Offensive. Only 30 minutes into this assault, all but 68 of the 801-man regiment were killed by enemy fire. The scene of Newfoundland soldiers pressing on in the heat of battle is a moving tribute to those who sacrificed their lives for the Allied cause in the First World War.
MAPLE LEAF MAZE, AND MORE
With the latest catalogue, the Mint also celebrates Canada’s national symbol with a creative innovation in another $20 Fine silver coin: Maple Leaf Maze. Designed by artist Maurice Gervais, the coin, adorned by a bright red partial image of a maple leaf, is also a functional puzzle which challenges its owner to skillfully place a tiny brass ball at the centre of the maze.
The maple leaf-themed collection of finely crafted collectibles continues with:
- the 2016 $20 Fine silver coin, “Canada’s Colourful Maple Leaf,” a coloured piece struck in a distinct maple leaf shape, also designed by Gervais;
- the 2016 $20 Fine silver coin, “Jewel of the Rain: Big Leaf Maple,” the latest coin featuring a Swarovski crystal raindrop in a design by artist Caren Heine;
- the 2016 $2,500 pure gold and $250 Fine silver “Maple Leaf Forever” coins featuring rare colour applications on gold and silver kilo coins designed by Julius Csotonyi;
- the 2016 $300 pure platinum coin, “Maple Leaf Forever,” designed by artist Lilyane Coulombe and featuring the innovative contrast of pink and yellow gold plating; and
- a five-ounce 2016 $500 pure gold coin, “Maple Leaves,” designed by Celia Godkin.
Other coins issued in this month’s catalogue include:
- the 2016 $150 pure gold coin, “Blessings of Good Health” by Three Degrees Creative Group;
- the 2016 $8 Fine silver coin , “Tiger and Dragon Yin and Yang” coin by artist Charles Vinh;
- the 2016 $20 Fine silver coin, “The Migratory Birds Convention, 100 Years of Protection: The American Avocet,” designed by Claudio D’Angelo;
- the 2016 $10 Fine silver coin “Batman v Superman: Dawn Of Justice, Wonder Woman” (the last in a four-coin series); and
- the crystal-enhanced 2016 $5 Fine silver coin commemorating July in the Birthstone Series (the seventh in a 12-coin series).