The Royal Canadian Mint has launched a new “world first” with a five-ounce Fine silver coin featuring a vibrantly coloured, hand-crafted Venetian glass element gracing the heart of an engraved ring of maple leaves.
Designed by artist Lisa Thomson-Khan, the 2016-dated $50 Fine silver coin – dubbed “Murano Maple Leaf: Autumn Radiance” – captures the vivid reds, oranges and yellows of Canada’s fall foliage in a handcrafted glass maple leaf that makes each example a unique collectible.
Another glass innovation is found on the 2016 $20 Fine silver coin – this dubbed “The Universe: Glow-in-the-Dark Glass with Silver Flume” – that recognizes the National Research Council’s Dominion Radio Astrophysical Observatory. Designed by Ardell Bourgeois, the coin also features a bead of borosilicate glass with a silver swirl mimicking the pattern of a radio signal.
These unique coins are joined by varied tributes to Canadian history and nature, all of which are available for purchase as part of the Mint’s May releases.
This latest numismatic catalogue includes:
- the 2016 $200 pure gold coin – “Tall Ships Legacy: Marco Polo” – designed by Neil Hamelin (second of a four-coin series);
- the selectively-coloured 2016 $20 Fine silver coin – “Aircraft of the First World War Series: The Sopwith Triplane” – designed by David Oram (second of a three-coin series);
- a 2016 five-cent Fine silver coin of the Big Coin Series, featuring G. E. Kruger-Gray’s iconic 1937 beaver design in full colour;
- the 2016 $350 gold coin – “The Bold Black Bear” – featuring a Pierre Leduc design on a very low-mintage, 99.999 per cent pure gold coin;
- The half-gram 2017 25-cent pure gold coin – “Predator vs. Prey: Arctic Hare” – also by Pierre Leduc;
- the 2016 $20 Fine silver coin – “The Commanding Canadian Lynx” – from the ongoing Majestic Animal series, by Emily S. Damstra;
- the 2016 $10 Fine silver coin – “Reflections of Wildlife: Otter” – designed by Maurade Baynton (second of a three-coin series);
- the 2016 $20 Fine silver coin – “Landscape Illusion: Butterfly” – designed by Julius Csotonyi (second of a five-coin series);
- the 2016 $20 Fine silver coin – “Geometry in Art: The Beaver” – by artist Calder Moore (fourth of five-coin series);
- the selectively-coloured 2016 $20 Fine silver coin – “Canadian Salmonids: Sockeye Salmon” – designed by Curtis Atwater (final coin of a three-coin series);
- the 2016 $20 Fine silver coin – “Baby Animals: Common Loon” – featuring a selectively coloured illustration by Glen Loates;
- the 2016 $10 Fine silver coin – “Day of the Dinosaurs – The Armoured Tank” – featuring the Edmontonia species of ankylosaur illustrated by Julius Csotonyi (final coin in a three-coin series);
- the 2016 $10 Fine silver coin dubbed “Batman v Superman: Dawn Of Justice – Batman” (coin 3 of 4); and
- the crystal-enhanced 2016 $5 Fine silver “June” coin of the Birthstone Series (sixth of a 12-coin series).
For more information, visit mint.ca.