On today’s date in 1968, the Toronto Transit Commission (TTC) officially opened its Bloor-Danforth subway extension, which saw new tracks running west to Islington Station as well as east to Warden Station.
Two years earlier, on Feb. 26, 1966, the TTC opened the original Bloor-Danforth Subway from Keele to Woodbine Stations. This original Line 2 had 20 subway stations across nearly 13 kilometres of track, and an estimated 500,000 people rode the line on its first day.
On May 11, 1968, the line was extended in both directions to bring rapid transit to Scarborough and Etobicoke. A little more than a decade later, both Kipling and Kennedy Stations would open.
Before 1954, all tokens issued by the TTC were brass; however, after the city’s first subway opened in 1954, these brass tokens were replaced with aluminum tokens produced by the Royal Canadian Mint. The new tokens has the word “SUBWAY” engraved on both sides surrounded by “TORONTO TRANSIT COMMISSION” on the obverse and “GOOD FOR ONE FARE” on the reverse.
By 1966, a new brass token was introduced for single rides. Forgoing the original design for a more elaborate one, the updated tokens depicted the TTC crest on the obverse and the TTC logo on the reverse.