Canada’s oldest continuing coin club—the Toronto Coin Club—recently issued a commemorative medal in celebration of the sesquicentennial anniversary of Canadian Confederation.
According to the club’s website, the medal is “a nostalgic reminder of the club’s earlier years as a leader in the numismatic hobby.”
The medal’s reverse design depicts the official Canada 150 logo in the centre with the words “SESQUICENTENNIAL / SESQUICENTENAIRE” around the rim and the dates “1867-2017” below.
Master engraver Larry Colburn, of the Mississauga Mint, was commissioned by the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association to produce the Canada 150 die.
On the obverse is the traditional Toronto Coin Club logo design, which was originally adapted from a badge of office produced by the club’s founding president Bob Robillard.
Robillard fashioned the badge of office from his favourite tetradrachm—this issued by Alexander the Great of Macedonia—from his personal collection. The design’s central element is a rendition of the obverse of the tetradrachm, which depicts Alexander as the allegorical figure of a young Hercules wearing a lion-skin headdress. The lion’s paws are tied around Alexander’s neck, and rays of sunshine encircle the tetradrachm.
Supporting this inner design are two laurel boughs with the legend “TORONTO COIN CLUB” at the top and “EST 1936 / •” at the bottom.
The 38-mm medal has been struck in two metals: one Troy ounce of .999 Fine silver, and copper.
TORONTO COIN CLUB
The Toronto Coin Club was established in May 1936, and its members have met on a consistent monthly basis since that time.
The club also issued a commemorative medal to mark the 1967 centennial celebrations. Member Ian Speers is currently compiling a catalogue of all medals issued by the club since its founding more than 80 years ago.
For more information, visit torontocoinclub.ca.