The awards program encourages young writers and promotes future numismatic authors and researchers. All submissions must be postmarked by May 15.
The contest is open to young writers in three age groups, each of which will compete for cash awards and numismatic book vouchers. Article submissions will be evaluated by a panel of judges, including Bill Fivaz; Q. David Bowers; and Kenneth Bressett. Awards will be presented in Colorado Springs at the ANA’s 2017 Summer Seminar on June 17-29. Those who are unable to attend will receive their awards by mail.
To compete in this year’s competition, participants must be ANA members. Submitted articles can focus on a numismatic topic of the competitor’s choice.
We encourage any young Canadian numismatists who are members of the ANA to apply for the Literary Awards competition.
AWARDS, PLAQUES & CERTIFICATES
The 2017 ANA Young Numismatist Literary Awards competition includes:
- The Bill Fivaz Young Numismatist Literary Award (ages 8-12), the winner of which will display basic knowledge of a numismatic topic. Creativity and original conclusions are encouraged. The suggested length is 450-900 words.
- The Q. David Bowers Young Numismatist Literary Award (ages 13-17), the winner of which will display advanced knowledge of a numismatic topic. Logically presented facts and original conclusions are encouraged. A bibliographic list of sources is recommended but not required. The suggested length is 900-1,800 words.
- The Kenneth E. Bressett Young Numismatist Literary Award (ages: 18-22), the winner of which will display in-depth knowledge of a numismatic topic. Logically presented facts and original conclusions are required along with a bibliographic list of sources. Inclusion of charts, graphs, tables or other illustrations is encouraged. The suggested length is 1,800-3,600 words.
Whitman Publishing has collaborated with the ANA to offer prizes. The following will be awarded in each of the three age categories:
- the First Place Plaque includes a $500 cash prize as well as a $500 voucher to help build a personal library of numismatic books produced by Whitman Publishing;
- the Second Place Certificate includes a $200 book voucher from Whitman Publishing; and
- the Third Place Certificate includes a $100 book voucher from Whitman Publishing.
Completed entries can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org or sent to: ANA Publications Department c/o Cynthia Wood-Davies at 818 N. Cascade Ave. in Colorado Springs, Colo.
For more information, contact Cynthia Wood-Davies, copy editor of The Numismatist, at email@example.com.