Home Forums General Discussion Toonie Circulation coins – which to collect

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    BrettB
    Participant

Hello,
    I’ve recently started collecting again with my 8-year old daughter. We’d like to collect 1 of each circulation toonie but I’m having trouble figuring out which ones we will be able to find in circulation. For example, in 1999, there was the commemorative Nunavut coin. Was there also a regular polar bear edition in circulation?
    Similarly for 2000. It seems there was a Knowledge commemorative version, a Polar Bear with W and was there also a non-W Polar Bear? Should I be trying to find all 3 or was there really low mintage of some of these so I shouldn’t try? Is there any way to find the circulation mintage of each variety?

Thank you for your help.

Brett

rayno
    Participant

Hello BrettB,
    Maybe I can help out here. For regular circulation polar bear coins there is from 1996-1998, 2001,2002,2004-2006,2007-2019. 2003 polar bear has two varieties (old & new queen effigies). 2006 also has a churchill variety-polar bear nose up, and a RCM logo variety-date on top. 1999- Nunavut only. 2000 knowledge only. 2008 Also Québec City variety. 2010 has a 14 serrations on the edge of coin variety. 2011 has a Boreal Forest variety. 2012 has the much more common security mark variety with 2 circles next to “2”. 2012 also has HMS Shannon ship variety. 2014 has the “wait for me daddy” (Definately my favorite) variety. 2015 sir John A Macdonal (i’m tired of saying variety), And In Flanders Field.
    2016 has Battle of Atlantic.
    2017 has Dance (northern lights) regular and glow in the dark versions. Also Battle of Vimy Ridge.
    2018 has Armastice regular and color.
    2019 has D-Day regular and color.
    2020 has Bill Reid regular and color.

I hope this helps – if you keep an eye on your change, you’ll be surprised at what you get!!

rayno
    Participant

BTW 2020 probably has a polar bear too, but I haven’t got one yet! 🙂

benhgout
    Participant

BTW 2020 có lẽ cũng có gấu bắc cực, nhưng tôi chưa có! 🙂

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Keep up to date with the numismatic community

Canadian Coin News

Canada

Canadian Coin News is Canada's premier source of information about coins, notes and medals.

Although we cover the entire world of numismatics, the majority of our readers are Canadian, and we concentrate on the unique circumstances surrounding collecting in our native land.

Send Us Your Event

Running an event? Send it to us and we will display it on Canadian Coin News!

Submit Event →

Subscribe To 26 Issues For Just $49.99/year

Subscribe today to receive Canada's premier coin publication. Canadian Coin News is available in both paper and digital forms.

Subscribe Now

We acknowledge the financial support of the Government of Canada through the Canada Periodical Fund of the Department of Canadian Heritage.