Home Forums General Discussion 'Pride of Two Nations' joint set

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  dr_dmd 3 weeks, 2 days ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Jesse
    Participant

CCN received the following letter to the editor from Republic Now, a national organization whose stated mission is ‘to advocate for the replacement of the non-resident, British monarch as Canada’s Head of State with a democratically-selected, resident, Canadian.’

Editor,

In a first-ever collaboration, the Royal Canadian Mint and U.S. Mint have issued a two-coin set “to celebrate the two countries’ independent spirit,” says the Ottawa mint.

Independent? The Canadian coin pictures a British queen on its front, hardly a symbol of independence, and in stark contrast to the U.S. coin, which features Liberty, an allegorical figure enveloped in a flag.

This issue, the U.S. Mint says, is the “Pride of Two Nations.”

Maybe one, we say.

The Ottawa mint issues dozens of coins every year – each one a fresh opportunity to feature a Canadian symbol or person on the front – yet it has never done so in its 111-year history.

It’s time. If you’re fed up, send a message to Finance Minister Bill Morneau at bill.morneau@canada.ca or Mint media relations manager Alex Reeves at reeves@mint.ca.

What do you think?

dr_dmd
    Participant

Although the coins are very nice, attractive – especially the Canadien coin, it is a shame that the Mint (ie, RC Mint) ran out of stock. Even though I have platinum status as a client of the Mint, I could not purchase even one set from La Monnaie! I was able to buy two sets from the US Mint, but still… Something seems wrong with this. I would also have liked to buy only the Canadien coin, not both of the coins in the set. I suppose there is no way to make all of us happy, so I accept the fact I had to get the whole set, but that there were none left to buy seems wrong to me.

As for the previous comment, I suppose that cultural differences are something we must also take into account. In Canada, we pride ourselves on being able to accept diversity to a much greater degree than our friends to the south. Maybe we just don’t need to use our flag like a security blanket to support our identity. We have a wonderful flag, but does it need to be on our coin to show we are proud of who we are? Is not the Maple Leaf itself symbol enough to do the job?

I do wonder if it is time to let go of QEII on the obverse of our coins, to be replaced by something more connected to our collective sense of country. No offense to the Queen – she is a wonderful person, but we are not British, are we? It’s time to consider something else for the obverse side of our coins.

Just a thought.

Merci, les amis!

Daniel

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Keep up to date with the numismatic community

Canadian Coin News

Canada

Canadian Coin News is Canada's premier source of information about coins, notes and medals.

Although we cover the entire world of numismatics, the majority of our readers are Canadian, and we concentrate on the unique circumstances surrounding collecting in our native land.

Send Us Your Event

Running an event? Send it to us and we will display it on Canadian Coin News!

Submit Event →

Subscribe To 26 Issues For Just $47.99/year

Subscribe today to receive Canada's premier coin publication. Canadian Coin News is available in both paper and digital forms.

Subscribe Now

We acknowledge the financial support of the Government of Canada through the Canada Periodical Fund of the Department of Canadian Heritage.