Home Forums General Discussion Interesting / Rare / Valuable coins found in circulation?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    BrettB
    Participant

Today my son and I found a 1961 quarter in a roll we got from the bank. It was quite exciting to find this silver coin in circulation. It made me think of 2 questions:
    1. What is the most interesting, rare or valuable coin you have ever found in your change?
    2. Is there somewhere I can find a list of modern Canadian circulation coins that are valuable (errors, low mintage, etc.). I’d like to know what might be possible to find in circulation and what we should look out for. I know the chances are low but it’s the excitement of the hunt. I’ve struggled to find a list like this anywhere.

Dave in Ottawa
    Participant

My son is a cashier at a grocery store; a couple of weeks ago he received a 1928 nickel from a customer! He swapped it for a more current nickel. It’s worn, and not a rare date, but it’s the oldest coin I’ve ever heard of being found in circulation.

CDNNumismatist
    Participant

That is a really cool story as you would not expect to see such a coin in the wild so to speak.

justahuemancoinr
    Participant

when covid took its first grip on society, closing banks specifically, i was going through BK drive thru and felt like a mini coin roll hunt for my evenings fun. I after opening 1 of the 2 nickel rolls, figured that this roll must have been in the darkest, unseen and not easily reached corners of the restaurants safe.
    As i opened the roll i first learned that nickels before they are as they are now, were not as they are now. I then learned that my newest and oldest nickel, was the 1st nickel minted in Canada in nickel. I then learned that i absolutely love coin’N, not just loved coin’N! I was just into my 2nd year of starting to collect….learn…and have time well spent – pun possibly intended ;p
    Anywho, the whole coin roll were nickels minted from 1922 to 1965. I ended up with 8 nickels with the cooler version of the Canadian nickel – so my eyes believe.

Jesse
    Participant

Sounds like a fun night of coin roll hunting! You sure can learn a lot from your coins, eh? Happy to hear you had some excitement, too. Keep it up.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Keep up to date with the numismatic community

Canadian Coin News

Canada

Canadian Coin News is Canada's premier source of information about coins, notes and medals.

Although we cover the entire world of numismatics, the majority of our readers are Canadian, and we concentrate on the unique circumstances surrounding collecting in our native land.

Send Us Your Event

Running an event? Send it to us and we will display it on Canadian Coin News!

Submit Event →

Subscribe To 26 Issues For Just $49.99/year

Subscribe today to receive Canada's premier coin publication. Canadian Coin News is available in both paper and digital forms.

Subscribe Now

We acknowledge the financial support of the Government of Canada through the Canada Periodical Fund of the Department of Canadian Heritage.