Home Forums General Discussion 2020 Mintages

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Numisnut1960
    Participant

Hi everybody. I’m new to this forum but not to the hobby. I’d like to know if anyone has any idea about what the effect, if any, the covid lockdown will have on circulation mintage numbers . Also I wonder if anyone has found any 2020 stuff in circulation yet?

Jesse
    Participant

Hi Numisnut! Thanks for joining the forum.

How long have you been collecting?

I’m unsure about the pandemic’s impact on circulation mintages; however, I think as of now, it’s not impacted in Canada (although the numismatic and bullion lines were/are).

I’ll ask around and report back.

Numisnut1960
    Participant

Hi Jesse. Thanks for your welcome and your reply. I’ve been collecting on/off for mostly 50 years but nowhere an expert. I just collect whatever makes me happy. I have a ton of fun at it. A few years ago I was a member of another forum. However that one seems to have gone dormant. So now with the lockdown I’ve found it to be an opportunity to fire things back up again. Also I’m officially an “empty nester” which affords me lots of freedom. I’m sure there are other in the hobby wondering about mintage numbers too. So it would be greatly appreciated if someone could find more info on it.
    Thanks again

twinrabbits
    Participant

Checking in to see if there are any 2020 mintage estimates?

Jesse
    Participant

Hi there,

According to the Mint’s Q2 report, the supply for Canadian circulation coins decreased 65 per cent and 38 per cent for the 13 and 26 weeks, respectively, ended June 27, 2020 (compared to the same periods in 2019).

“Sales of new coins to financial institutions were lower compared to the same periods last year as more financial institution inventory was available to meet the demand from the decrease in coin usage in 2020 due to COVID-19. Coin production began to increase toward the end of the second quarter in response to the decrease in financial institution deposits and growing demand for circulation coins as COVID-19 pandemic restrictions begin to ease and businesses re-open.”

The total coin supply for the previous 26 weeks (ended June 27, 2020) is 922 million compared to 1,491 million (1.49 billion) in the same period in 2019.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Keep up to date with the numismatic community

Canadian Coin News

Canada

Canadian Coin News is Canada's premier source of information about coins, notes and medals.

Although we cover the entire world of numismatics, the majority of our readers are Canadian, and we concentrate on the unique circumstances surrounding collecting in our native land.

Send Us Your Event

Running an event? Send it to us and we will display it on Canadian Coin News!

Submit Event →

Subscribe To 26 Issues For Just $49.99/year

Subscribe today to receive Canada's premier coin publication. Canadian Coin News is available in both paper and digital forms.

Subscribe Now

We acknowledge the financial support of the Government of Canada through the Canada Periodical Fund of the Department of Canadian Heritage.