Canadian symbols, cultural icons and historic milestones grace the latest offering of collector coins from the Royal Canadian Mint.
Leading the list is the 70th wedding anniversary of Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, who will be commemorated on a 2017 $20 Fine silver coin entitled “A Platinum Celebration.” Designed by Canadian artist Derek Wicks, the coin features an engraving of the platinum-set bracelet given to Queen Elizabeth II by Prince Philip on their wedding day surrounding the royal couple’s cypher and the dates 1947-2017 on a flowing banner, both of which are rendered in vibrant colour.
The catalogue, which includes 21 new issues, is the Mint’s second last catalogue of 2017.
Numismatic milestones also stand out with the selectively gold-plated 2018-dated $10 Fine silver coin, “SML Tribute to 30 Years” and the four-piece 2018 Fine silver Maple Leaf Quartet, both of which celebrate the 30th anniversary of the Mint’s popular Silver Maple Leaf bullion coin.
As well, the one-kilogram 2017 $250 Fine silver coin, “A Tribute to The First Canadian Gold Coin” recaptures the classic coat-of-arms design of Canada’s 1912 gold circulation coin, highlighted in gold plating of the same reddish hue of the original.
OTHER NOVEMBER COINS
Other new coins available this month include:
- the 2017 $20 Fine silver coin, “First World War: Battlefront Series – The Battle of Passchendaele,” designed by Pandora Young;
- the 2017 $15 Fine silver coin, “In the Eyes of the Lynx,” featuring glow in the dark- enhanced eyes in a Curtis Atwater design;
- the 2017 $20 Fine silver coin, “From Sea to Sea to Sea: Arctic Beluga Whale,” designed by Tony Bianco;
- the 2017 $20 Fine silver coin, “Canada’s Coasts Series: Arctic Coast,” featuring the colour-enhanced artwork of Curtis Atwater;
- the 2017 $20 Fine silver coin, “Master of the Land: The Timber Wolf,” a scallop-shaped coin designed by Tony Bianco;
- the 2018 $500 pure gold coin, “Great Horned Owl,” a five-ounce coin, designed by Emily Damstra;
- the 2018 five-ounce Fine silver coin, “Big Coin Series: 25 Cents,” featuring Emanuel Hahn’s classic 1937 Caribou design in selective rose gold plating;
- the 2018 $30 Fine silver coin, “Gardens of Canada: Halifax Public Gardens,” designed by Margaret Best;
- the 2018 $20 Fine silver coin, “Tree of Life,” featuring gold plating and colour enhancing a Steven Hepburn design;
- the 2017 $100 Fine silver coin, “Star Trek: U.S.S. Enterprise NCC-1701,” a 10-ounce coin shaped like the famed starship itself;
- the 2018 25-cent cupro-nickel lenticular coin animating all six members of the Justice League;
- a trio of 2018-dated $20 Fine silver coins, each featuring a pairing of superheroes (Cyborg and Superman; Batman and Aquaman; The Flash and Wonder Woman);
- the 2018 $30 Fine silver coin, “The World’s Greatest Super Heroes“;
- the 2018 $100 14-karat gold coin, “United We Stand“;
- the 2018 $25 Fine silver coin, “Classic Holiday Ornament,” designed by Calder Moore;
- the 2018 $20 Fine silver coin, “Holiday Reindeer,” featuring a venetian glass-enhanced design by Anna Bucciarelli; and
- the double crystal-enhanced 2017 $3 Fine silver coin from the Zodiac series, “Sagittarius (December),” designed by Pandora Young.
All of these collectibles are currently available to the public. Mintages, pricing and full background information on each coin can be found at mint.ca.