Buy This Issue

Purchasing this issue costs 4 credits. You can buy credits and use them to purchase past issues and reveal the trend prices of coins and notes.

You must be logged in to buy issues.

Login Sign Up

×
Volume 53 – #24

Buy This Issue

Download a digital copy of this issue instantly for just 4 credits.

Volume 53#24

March 8 – March 21, 2016

Lisa McPherson, left, and Cassidy Stroud are vice-president and president, respectively, of the Brantford Numismatic Society. Photo by Jeff Fournier

Brantford first Canadian club with women in executive roles

While numismatics is often considered a male-dominated hobby, one southern Ontario club is bucking the trend with three women holding key positions on the club’s executive. Earlier this year, Cassidy Stroud became president and Lisa McPherson became vice-president of the Brantford Numismatic Society, a first for Canada. They are joined on the executive by club secretary Lindy Smith. While Louise Graham was president of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association (RCNA) from 1973-75, it is the first time a Canadian club has had women in the top leadership spots at the same time. For Stroud, however, the women power team is not about women taking over, but more about picking the right talent. Continue reading →

Features
Rare Distinguished Conduct Medal for Korea sells for $32,000
Page 1
Montreal’s Nuphilex changes ownership
Page 1
One of Canada’s oldest gold mines to close in 2016
Page 8
Torex show going strong since 1962
Page 27
Former ANA president is guest speaker at ONA Convention
Page 32
Latest Mint coins celebrate Canada through innovation
Page 36

Regulars
CCN Trends
Focus on Canadian 20 and 25 cents
Page 10
CCN Marketplace
Are you buying or selling?
Page 34
Show & Bourse
Check out the shows in your area
Page 37
Editorial
A virtual Canadian numismatic club?

There has been a lot of discussion in recent years over the future of numismatic clubs, societies and associations. We have seen some clubs fold, others near the brink of extinction due to a lack of volunteers, and then there are clubs – like Windsor, Waterloo and Brantford – that are thriving. A recent survey by Canadian Coin News certainly suggests there is opportunity for growth. We asked, “Do you belong to a coin club in Canada?” Of the 86 per cent of respondents who answered the question, a total of 155 (29.75 per cent) said yes. The remaining 366 (70.25 per cent) said no. Wow, what a surprise. Think about it…more than two-thirds of the collectors who responded are not members of a coin club.

Continue reading →

By mwalsh
Columns
Stanley Clute
Notes & Bills
Red $50 banknote a fiting tribute to RCMP
Page 9
John Regitko
Errors & Varieties
Some errors require much closer scrutiny
Page 18

Mike Walsh
New Issues
New numismatic issues from around the world
Page 22
Tim Grawey
Colonial Tokens
Montreal gunsmith’s countermarked tokens
Page 24

Randy Heimpel
CoinNet
Large Canadian dealer ensures wide Net presence
Page 26
Jeff Fournier
Club Circuit
Harry James is more than just a ‘token’ collector
Page 28

Past Issues
Keep up to date with the numismatic community

Sign up to receive our newsletter.

Canadian Coin News

Canada

Canadian Coin News is Canada's premier source of information about coins, notes and medals.

Although we cover the entire world of numismatics, the majority of our readers are Canadian, and we concentrate on the unique circumstances surrounding collecting in our native land.

Send Us Your Event

Running an event? Send it to us and we will display it on Canadian Coin News!

Submit Event →

Subscribe To 26 Issues For Just $45.75/year

Subscribe today to receive Canada's premier coin publication. Canadian Coin News is available in both paper and digital forms.

Subscribe Now

We acknowledge the financial support of the Government of Canada through the Canada Periodical Fund of the Department of Canadian Heritage.