On today’s date in 1910, Prince Rupert, B.C. was incorporated as a city.
In 1960, the Prince Rupert Golden Jubilee Committee commissioned the Sherritt Mint to make trade tokens “good for $1 in trade during the year 1960” in commemoration of the city’s 50th anniversary. Ten years later, another $1 token was made to celebrate the city’s 60th anniversary.
Since 1960, communities across Canada have used trade dollars and tokens – coins sponsored by local authorities and given legal monetary value in a specific area for a limited time – to raise funds or promote tourism.
Throughout the 1970s and ’80s, many communities would commission these tokens, most of which were made locally by the Sherritt Mint. All businesses in the town of issue would accept the trade dollars until their expiry date. By the 1990s, the phenomenon had subsided as municipalities found new ways to generate income.
In 1921, the 17th Report of the Geographic Board of Canada wrote about the city’s name, which was decided in 1906 by officers of the Grand Trunk Pacific Railway. They name the city after Prince Rupert of the Rhine, who was first Governor of the Hudson’s Bay Company, after an open competition held by the railway. There was a $250 prize.